Coincidentally, American and Chinese families will both be celebrating this Sunday night with a feast. And for Chinese families living in the US, a fusion feast of Super Bowl snacks and traditional Chinese New Year dishes.
- 1 head of butter lettuce – leaves washed and separated
- 1 cup unsalted cashews – chopped
- 2 medium carrots – julienned into thin strands
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp of Season with Spice’s Penang-style Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce, or Sriracha sauce
- 1/8 tsp of Season with Spice’s White Pepper, or to taste
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tsp of grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions – chopped, and separated into green and white parts
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts – diced into small cubes
- 2 small red & orange bell peppers – diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber – diced
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Whisk well and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil to coat all sides of the wok. When the oil is hot, add in garlic, ginger, and the white scallion pieces. Stir-fry for just a few seconds, or until aromatic. Add in the chopped chicken pieces, and stir-fry over high heat until almost cooked though. Add in the bell peppers and continue to cook for another minute. Add in the sauce. Give everything a few tosses to combine. Stir-fry until the sauce has cooked down and coated everything nicely. Remove from heat. Have a quick taste and adjust any seasonings if desired. Add in the diced cucumber, and toss again to combine. Dish out in a serving bowl.
- On the table, place out separate dishes of lettuce leaves, the stir-fried chicken & vegetables, chopped cashews, julienned carrots, and the green scallion pieces. Then have the family or your party guests make their own lettuce cups.
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 8-10 lettuce cups