A dish rack is where you keep your clean plates, cups, and utensils. It’s a nifty kitchen tool that constantly gets wet. And this can make it more vulnerable to molds and mildews. Not to mention, it also comes into contact with oil from food.
And neglecting to clean your dish rack can spell more trouble in the future. It can lead to more stubborn dirt and stains. And it can also harbor molds. This is harmful to your health. Cleaning a dish rack does not need to be such a hassle. We’re going to show you how to clean a dish rack. Even lazy bugs will find it rather easy. You can even do it with your eyes closed.
When Should You Clean your Dish Rack
When does a dish rack warrants cleaning? As frequent as you can. Ideally, cleaning your dish rack twice a week can make the process easier. This will prevent stains from building up. Thus, making it easier and faster to clean. Apart from bi-weekly cleaning, you also have to keep your dish rack dry as much as possible. This can help prevent molds from thriving in your dish rack.
Natural Ways to Clean your Dish Rack
Using natural ingredients to clean your dish rack is possible. You don’t want chemicals to come into contact with your plates. That’s why this is a very viable solution.
1. Using vinegar
- Gather all the materials that you need. We’ll need a gentle scrubber, hot water, a cup of vinegar, soap, and a basin.
- Fill the basin with hot water and pour in a cup of vinegar.
- Make sure to fully submerge the dish rack into the vinegar solution. If you’re using an over the sink dish rack, you can disassemble it to facilitate cleaning. Otherwise, submerge the dish rack part by part.
- The combination of the hot water and vinegar will dislodge oils and dirt from the dish rack.
- Let it sit in the solution for 20 minutes. Ensure that the water stays hot. Otherwise, oils and dirt can cling back to the rack.
- Use a soft scrubber and gently brush the exterior part of the rack. Repeat as needed.
- Rinse well with warm water.
- Then use a towel to dry the rack. Alternatingly, you can air dry it.
- If the dish rack is metal, you have to dry it as soon as possible to prevent it from rusting. Use an absorbent cloth instead.
2. Baking soda
- We need baking soda, dish soap, a basin, hot water, and a gentle scrubber.
- Make a concoction of water, baking soda, dish soap, and vinegar.
- Take a cup of the solution and add it to a basin of hot water.
- Mix the solution until it’s nice and foamy.
- Submerge the rack in the solution and let sit for 20 minutes. Always ensure that the water stays hot.
- Get a gentle scrubber and start to brush off all the dirt.
- Repeat as needed.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Air dry or use an absorbent cloth to dry a metal rack as soon as possible.
How to Prevent your Metal Rack from Rusting
Water is metal’s worst enemy. Leave it for too long and it will rust. Here’s how you can avoid your metal racks from corroding.
- Dry water spots as quickly as you can. Use a more absorbent cloth.
- Take extra caution when storing sharp objects. Scratches on the dish rack can strip off the vinyl coating. And this will make it more susceptible to rusting.
How to Remove Rust in Metal Dish Racks
When metals are exposed to water, rusts are inevitable. So what can you do? If small rust spots are just starting to form, do this.
- Dry the rack completely first.
- Then cover the rust spots with electrical tape. This will prevent the rust from spreading to the entire rack.
While this will not completely remove the rust, it will prevent it from corroding the entire. Rack. But if rusts are taking over the entire dish rack, it’s time to buy a new one.
How Can I Clean Wood and Bamboo Dish Racks?
These types of dish racks are more challenging to clean. It’s not advisable to submerge them in the liquid solution. Doing so can encourage mold and mildew growth. Spot cleaning is more suitable for these types of racks.
- How do you clean a plastic dish rack?
It’s the same procedure as cleaning a metal dish rack. But since it’s not susceptible to rusting, you can leave it to air dry after rinsing it. It’s more worry-free to clean a plastic dish rack. You may just leave it on top of the sink to dry.
- Can I make a concentrated solution?
While it may seem that a stronger solution will help dislodge oils and stains better, it’s not. A too concentrated solution can chip off the coating of the dish rack.
- How long will it take to clean a dish rack?
Since you have to let it sit in the solution for 20 minutes, it will roughly take you an hour.
- Can I use detergent and water to clean the dish rack?
Yes, you can. Add a cup of detergent to a basin of hot water. Then clean normally as you would.
- Which is tougher on stains, vinegar, or baking soda?
Vinegar is tougher and more concentrated. But using a combination of vinegar and baking soda will make a stronger solution. This is the perfect recipe to get rid of stubborn stains and oils.
- Can I use any type of scrubber?
No, always use a gentle scrubber. Otherwise, you may risk peeling off the outer covering of the dish rack. Some scrubbers may be too abrasive.
Cleaning a dish rack is very easy. And to prevent stubborn stains and bacteria from harboring, a bi-weekly cleaning will be sufficient. It will also make your dish rack look new all the time.
You can also clean your dish rack using simple ingredients that you can find in your kitchen cupboard. These natural ingredients are pretty notorious for stripping off the oils, grime, and dirt. So you don’t need to use chemical-laden cleaners.