- 600g soaked Tiger Nuts (475g dry Tiger Nuts)
- 1 ½ liters cold water
- Other ingredients you can add to it
Tiger Nuts Drink is an aphrodisiac, you will need some energy to “perform” after drinking it, so add the following when blending:
- Dates (Dabino in Hausa)
To make it medicinal, add:
- Soak the very dry nuts in a generous quantity of cold water for 2 days. Keep it in the fridge for the duration of the soaking so that the nuts do not ferment. Most tiger nuts sold in Nigeria are fresh and well hydrated so you’ll only need to soak those ones for a few hours or overnight.
- After the soaking, wash the nuts very well and sort out the bad ones.
- Put them in your kitchen blender and pour just enough water to help the blades move. We need to make this milk as concentrated and tasty as possible; you can add more water later if you wish.
- At this time you can add other ingredients: coconut, sugar, ginger and other flavors of your choice and blend them together. I prefer anything I eat/drink as natural as possible so I do not add any other ingredient to this drink. The natural taste of Tiger Nut Milk is so great; you do not want to alter it at all.
After blending, use a chiffon cloth or ladies stocking (pantyhose) to separate the chaff from the drink. Of course, the pantyhose should be brand new, thoroughly washed with dish washing liquid.
- Press the stocking to make sure you squeeze out all the milk from the chaff.
- Put the dry chaff back in the blender, add more water and blend again. Then strain with the chiffon cloth.
Repeat the process till all the milk has been extracted. I found that the milk I got the third time was too watery. So 2 times should be enough and keep an eye on the quantity of water. As a guide, I got 1.5 liters of tiger nut milk from 600g of soaked tiger nuts. Yours may vary.
- Pour the extracted milk into bottles and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. It should last longer in the freezer. In my home, this milk usually disappears within 2 days of making it, so I can’t tell you how long it can stay in the freezer without losing its taste!
- Serve Tiger Nuts Milk with any snack of your choice.