Table Of Contents
Nanaimo Bars have dependably been a most loved of mine, and I wedded a man who adores them much more. When we got hitched, I had my Mom’s recipe and he had his Mom’s recipe and I mixed them together to think of the best! Nanaimo! Bar! Ever! All things considered, in any event as I would see it.
- 3/4 cup butter/margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups Graham (hee!) cracker crumbs
- Mix together and place in 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Chill.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp Birdseye (or any) custard powder
- 1/4 cup cream/milk (as needed to keep soft)
- Mix together, put on top of the bottom layer, and chill.
- 3 chocolate squares
- 1/4 cup butter margarine (melted)
- Stir together and spread on top with a spatula.
- Try not to eat the entire batch in one sitting.
- 6 waffles, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups total)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 to 10 slices bacon, crisply cooked, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 10×6-inch (1 1/2-quart) glass baking dish with shortening or cooking spray.
- Spread waffle pieces in even layer on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F. In large bowl, beat egg yolks, salt, milk, whipping cream, maple syrup and vanilla with whisk until well combined. Carefully stir in waffle pieces and bacon until evenly coated. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into baking dish; press down with back of spoon. Cover tightly with foil.
5Bake 50 to 60 minutes, removing foil during last 10 minutes of baking, until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Brush top with melted butter. Cut into squares; serve warm.
- Expert Tips: Serve waffle bake with extra maple syrup, whipped cream and/or berries, or sprinkle each serving with chopped fresh sage.
- Waffle bake can be fully prepared the night before. Just bake until done, cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, heat in a 250°F oven until thoroughly heated